November 1, 2011

What's My Story?

A guest from a DC-based advocacy org came to very briefly present to a class of mine the other day.  She started this way:
I'm an alumnus of this class, and I'd like to make connections among other alums.  My work in DC is in health insurance.  Here's the issue: there are 8 million uninsured children in America.  But 6 million of them are eligible for health insurance, just not enrolled.  Some states have added a question to school registration forms about health insurance, and quickly been able to identify who needs to be signed up.
Wow.  In four to five sentences, she introduced herself.  She put her purpose out there.  She used two very simple numbers to paint a vivid picture in ways anybody could grasp.  And she suggested policy solutions.

Pretty complete picture.  One of my goals for the next year (-plus) is to be a better communicator.  What's my story, and how do I tell it?

No comments:

Post a Comment